Sunday, December 23, 2012

Its the end of the world as we know it?

Congratulations! The fact that you are reading this means we have all survived December 21st, 2012: 'the end of the world'.
If I were being 100% honest with myself, I would say that this has not been my favorite week.  I'm feeling a little out of sorts right now, likely for one (or more of the following reasons):
*this past week was a 6-day work week rather than 5 (in order to have new year's eve and new year's day off from work we had to hold an extra day of classes, so that fell on Saturday)
*two of my friends went home this week (goodbye Zach and Wendy)
*It is almost Christmas, but Taiwan is lacking the level of holiday-spirit which I am accustomed to (I have my tree, and I am excited about the pile of presents and cards which are waiting under it, but it is the first time I haven't been home for Christmas day, and that is a weird feeling)
*I am sick (its just a minor cough, but as my friends warned me, something about the first time you are ill in Taiwan is more crippling than it would be back home, and this cough has affected my sleep patterns, eating patterns, and has caused a dull pain in my eyes) which usually wouldn't bother me too much, except that teaching small children, particularly teaching them Christmas Carols, can be straining on a healthy throat, and the process keeps sending me into coughing fits
Don't get me wrong, I'm in Taiwan, which means that overall there is more good than bad happening in my life.  This week I bought my first scooter (moped), which makes me a Taiwan Adult (or a proper nerd, depending on how you look at it).  It may not be the motorcycle I have always talked of wanting, but it is the closest I have ever come, so I'll take it!  I have really enjoyed my new-found means of exploring the city, it gives me a chance of actually learning my way around Changhua.  Also in my list of exciting purchases are a hot plate (so I can finally cook in my apartment), a teapot (first one I have ever owned, and with it I just made my first cup of tea), and a cup of strawberries (I know what you are thinking, but I haven't had strawberries in at least 4 months, and they were delicious).
Comparison time! Did you know, that in Minnesota right now, the daytime temperature is 15 degrees Fahrenheit (with a windchill causing it to feel like 5 degrees).  The daytime temperature in Taiwan today was 68 degrees Fahrenheit.  The interesting thing about temperature is that it is all relative.  Have you ever noticed that as autumn begins and the temperature drops, we are quick to bundle up, but when spring begins and the temperature starts rising we are quick to shed our extra levels.  The temperature when we add layers, tends to be higher than the temperature when we start losing layers.  The bodies tolerance for cold increases the longer it has been exposed to it.  Most of the Taiwanese people I know have been wearing winter jackets and thick knit sweaters for weeks now, and wool scarves and hats have been on sale for months, but I can picture my friends and family shedding all of their winter-protective-gear if the temperature today rose to 70 degrees.  I've always had a good tolerance for the cold, but I'll admit, even I had on a long sleeve shirt, vest, jacket, scarf, and gloves today.
Taiwan 'family photo' - gathered around the Christmas tree
Countdown to Christmas: 2 days (wow, tomorrow is Christmas eve already!) Happy holidays!


No comments:

Post a Comment