Sunday, February 24, 2013

Kind of a Boring Week

Oh dear, I worry that nothing will be able to live up to last week, there were so many stories, and pictures, and adventures, and now I am back to my normal life again (well, as normal as my life in Taiwan can be).
I'd be lying if I said this was a particularly fun week.  I'm pretty sure all I did was work, but I suppose that is the result of having had a 6-day work week.  In Taiwan it is fairly common that, when a holiday day-off is granted that it is made-up during a weekend, and this weekend is when we made up our Chinese New Year vacation.  I've had jobs where I've worked 7 days in a week before, but something about teaching 6 days is so much more exhausting.
I'm searching my memory, trying to think of something amazing to tell you this week, but  I'm drawing a blank, unless you care about the fact that I filed my Taiwanese taxes, but since that is as exciting as American taxes, I can't imagine you do (though, the mile-marker-moment of the week was that I wrote in Chinese (a little bit) on an official government form).
This weekend was very short...Last night the gang and I went out for a joint birthday party at a gay bar in Taichung.  For all the times you guys have probably heard me sing, I think last night was the first time I sang karaoke on a stage, so that was fun.  Then today, after an uneventful day of lounging and cleaning, we went out for massages (it is not going to be a fun transition back to reality when I have to remember that massages are not reasonably priced in the states).
I don't even have an interesting fact of the week, I think I'm really slipping here.  My fact of the week is just a silly observation which most people know holds is one of my hobbies: fishing.  I currently live on an island, which means there is access to water everywhere, so why have I discovered indoor "fishing ponds".  There are areas mid-city here in Taiwan where you can walk into a warehouse-style building with a swimming pool, instead of spending all day on a boat or pier, and kick back with your fishing pole.  A customer will pay by the hour to catch as many shrimp as they can, and then they can grill their catches in the in-site grills (which most of these pools have).  I understand that this may be cheap, and safe, but it still does baffle me in a location where the ocean and sea are so close (regardless, it is something I hope I get to try while I am in Taiwan, mainly since I've never caught a shrimp before).

No comments:

Post a Comment