Monday, April 1, 2013

Happy Easter

Overall, I would say this is the least traditional Easter I have ever had.  That is what happens when you live in a primarily non-Christian country.  It may not have been a sunrise church service, or a day with the family, but for the first time in I couldn't tell you how many years, I did eat a chocolate egg to celebrate the holiday (because apparently I like chocolate now, which makes no sense to me).
Happy Easter from the crew at the Filipino disco
Without a doubt, the most memorable moment of this week was on Wednesday morning when Taiwan underwent the biggest earthquake it has experienced since my arrival.  I have been around for several little quakes, and I know this one wasn't too big because I have seen the consequences of the high-scale quakes, but this one was measured at 6.1 with an epicenter in Nantou county (which is next to Changhua County).  I was in my Chinese lesson (which takes place outside at a coffee house) at the time of the earthquake, and it was unnerving to see how much the buildings can sway.  Thankfully there were not many major damages caused, though some collapsed ceilings and cracks were reported.  My apartment was unaffected.
My work week was relatively uneventful, so let's skip to the weekend.  Saturday was spent on the scooter, exploring the wonders of Taichung's geocaching scene.  It appears I have gotten yet another group of people hooked on my hobby, and we wandered all over Taichung trying to find these treasures (though we only managed to find 3).  Sunday was also spent in Taichung, but this time it was at the Filipino disco instead of on the road.  I believe I've mentioned the Filipino disco before, but can I just comment again on how much fun it is.  Usually when you picture dancing, there is the mental image of late nights and lots of alcohol, but the Filipino disco is open from 2pm-7pm on Sundays, so the aforementioned atmosphere doesn't fit as well, which is ideal for me.
We found the cache in Dali!
Exciting update about last week's post, my time-off request for late-August/early-September has been approved which means that I will be able to make a short trip home at that time.  I love Taiwan, but I really look forward to seeing everyone back home as well!
My extra thoughts this week are based on a song that we learned in my Chinese class on Friday.  First of all, I really think songs are a brilliant way to teach, and I say this because they are one of the easiest ways for me to learn (I acknowledge that learning styles are not universal, so it will not work for everyone, but for those who have a memory for lyrics, just recalling the tune brings sentences to your tongue).  This week we learned a song which is cholk-full of useful phrases for anyone who is not fluent in Chinese.  The song is somewhat of a joke song, because it follows a group of friends who don't have much knowledge of the language.  Curious about the words? here you go (enjoy your new found Chinese knowledge, I can't seem to get it out of my head):

Duibuqi, wode Zhongwen bu hao - I'm sorry, my Chinese is not good.
Duibuqi, duibuqi, wo bu zhidao ni shuo shenme - I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I don't know what you are saying.
Duibuqi, wode Zhongwen bu hao - I'm sorry, my Chinese is not good.
Duibuqi, duibuqi, wo zhi xiang gen ni dang pengyou - I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I only want to be your friend.

Hello, ni hao ma? Nide Yingwen hao haoting - Hello, how are you? Your English is very good sounding.
Ni shi Meiguoren ma? Bing bushi Meiguoren - Are you American? I'm definitely not American.
Wo shi yiwei Yinguo shenshi - I am an English gentleman.

Ruguo ni zhuanxin ting, ni hui liaojie wo - If you pay attention you can understand me.

Huanying guanglin, limian zuo - Welcome, come inside.
Xiansheng, ni yao chi shenme? - Mr., what do you want to eat?
Wo yao shuijiao.  Ni hen lei shi bushi - I want to sleep.  Are you very tired?
Wo bulei.  Wo duzi hen e - I'm not tired.  My stomach is hungry.
Wo xiang yao chi shuijiao.  Qing ni kuaidian zuo - I would like to eat dumplings.  Give them to me quickly.

Meguanxi.  Wode Zhongwen jinbu le - It's alright.  My Chinese has improved.
Meguanxi, meguanxi.  Wo hai yao gen ni dang pengyou - It's alright I still want to be your friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment