Sunday, November 17, 2013

A New Kind of Game


Oh dear, it appears I am sick.  I sit here tonight, coughing, sniffling, and armed with a raspy voice, what a terrible feeling. 
I don’t really know how to go about explaining my weekend, because I like to think I am a little classier than the following story is going to imply.  There is no sugar coating it, my weekend consisted of a pub crawl, and while many have seen their variety of pub crawls (zombie-themed, mystery bus tour, subway crawls), but living in countries with public drinking laws has probably prevented you from traveling between 7-elevens.  You didn’t even know until today that you have been missing out on this sort of experience. 
Let’s start at the beginning.  Saturday night was my friend’s birthday, and to celebrate he created a game.  The game is simple, as long as you have a partner, a love of walking, and a tolerance for alcohol.  Over the course of a few hours the players would take a walking tour of Yuanlin, starting at the train station and ending in High-Relax (a local bar).  Along the route, there are 9 convenience stores, and at each convenience store a short interlude was planned, but rather than being relaxing interludes, they were drinking interludes, and a different mixed drink, beer, or wine, was assigned to be consumed.  Each person on the team was awarded 10 points for successfully drinking the assigned drink, 5 points for drinking an alternative drink, 0 points for drinking a soft drink/juice, and -5 points for drinking a water.  Furthermore, the entertaining aspect is that each person lost 5 points each time they went to the bathroom, so people were constantly monitoring each other’s bathroom behaviors.  At the end of the night, the team which completed the route with the most points was rewarded with the remainder of the ‘drinks kitty’, as well as the much deserved bragging rights.  As prestigious of a title as ‘convenience store pub crawl champion’ would have been, I think I can sleep soundly knowing that my team did not win.  Well, by ‘sleep soundly’ I guess I mean ‘only sleep for a couple of hours’, I almost forgot that it took until 8am to get back to our beds, and by that point I had spent hours singing solos in karaoke, lost my voice, and seen about a thousand marathon runners show us how productive mornings can be. 
A few hours of sleep later and we're off to the bowling alley!
My cultural thought of the week centers around an experience you almost certainly put very little thought into: taking out the trash.  Picture most public streets near you, or any local business, do they have a garbage can? In most places I have visited it is easy to dispose of your garbage, and yet you still see streets, rivers, woods, all littered with trash.  Here in Taiwan, it is exceptionally difficult to find public garbage cans.  So what do you do?  I still don’t know, I usually hide mine in my purse until I’m at home or in a convenient store.  Now think, what do you do when you need to take out the garbage or recycling from your house? Throw it in a bin in your driveway? For me to take out my garbage I need to take my bags not only downstairs, but down the street and around the corner to a public dumpster, and the really crazy thing is that I consider myself to be lucky.  Everyday (except Sunday I believe), in the afternoon and early evening, a team of garbage trucks blaring ‘Für Elise’ travels each of the cities collecting the trash from swarms of residents who have run outside with their bags in hand.  If you work or are busy during the collection period, you have to continue holding on to your rubbish until the next time you can chase down the truck.   With all of that hassle, you would think people would refuse to participate, but Taiwan has a highly successful disposal system, and is considered one of the most successful countries in the world for recycling rates.  

No comments:

Post a Comment