Sunday, December 15, 2013

Taiwan in the News

I would love to tell you about all of the adventures this week held, all of the amazing new things I experience, anything new at all, but sometimes a week is just a week.  While I can not say that watching the second part of The Hobbit on its release date, or co-manning a group barbecue dinner, or covering classes in Changhua school are things that happen every week, their existence did not create stories which are worthy of retelling.
So, instead of discussing my week, I want to discuss some of the things that have put Taiwan in the news this week.  First, one of the biggest names in American sugary snacks arrived in Taiwan this week, and while their presence in department stores and gas stations across the US is likely to never diminish, their success in stand-alone businesses definitely faltered in the early 2000's, causing all of the store locations I can think of to close.  However, it appears their international market is doing well, and so the people of Taiwan can now be subjected to Krispy Kreme.  I have a feeling the company will do well in this country, mainly because they only have one strong competitor here (Mister Donut), and with a contract to open 10 stores within the next 5 years, their business should spread throughout the island.  The negative side to this, however, is that for a country which has been so concerned with its obesity rates over the last decade or so, a company like Krispy Kreme may not be the best thing to bring over from the States (what I wouldn't give to see a Sweet Tomatoes salad bar here).
Now for a bit of local news for the folks in my University-city: Milwaukee.  While you are possibly unaware of the fact, your hometown baseball team now has some Taiwanese representation.  Selected in the Rule 5 draft this week, Wang Wei-Chung from Taitung, Taiwan is on the Milwaukee Brewers as a hopeful pitcher for the season, though because his promotion to this new team was so extreme, is doesn't seem likely that he will remain there for more than a season.
Outside of the news, I simply want to share my new, and ridiculous clothes rack with you.  As the weather gets colder in Taiwan, clothes take longer to dry, and suddenly that load of laundry that used to air-dry overnight (I miss having a dryer) now take 2-3 days before they are foldable or wearable.  The problem this leaves me with is that my one drying rack is now insufficient because I get impatient and want to finish all of my washing around the same time.  There is a solution which I have found, and it is silly I know, but it is also one of the perks of having a drop ceiling: extra places for you hangers (be careful if you copy me, don't over-do-it on the weight).
My winter drying rack, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment