Sunday, February 23, 2014

Jubilation

I have learned something very important about myself and my relationship with Taiwan this week.  I love this country, and while there may be days that I want to slam my head against a wall because I've been bombarded by another crazy custom, or held up by another language barrier, there are more days that I just catch myself thanking my lucky stars that this is my life.  I have officially passed the six month marker in my second year's contract, which means, whether I like it or not, the count has switched from up to down.  Before I know it, I'll be packing up and moving on.  I can't make my predictions, I don't know where my mindset will be in six months, hopefully I'll be excited for my future prospects (which tentatively includes education and travel), but I can't help but imagine that I won't feel ready to go.  This is one of the major complications with being sentimental and a traveler, I want to go everywhere, I want to meet everyone, and but I don't want those relationships (both with the people and the places) to end, ever.
It isn't a sentence I say every week, but my students made me so happy this week.  It appears the adage holds true yet again, "absence makes the heart grow fonder", and this vacation allowed me to distance myself and then re-submerge myself in the aspects of my job that are positive.  The number of times I had students stop by to say "hi" outside of class, and the number of times I heard "I love you" from them (even my older classes told me they love me), the unexpected hugs, those are things I will never grow tired of (though there is a chance when my bribes of Japanese candies start do decrease, so too will their affection).
When I wasn't at the school, I was busy spending too much time in stores and markets, spending all of that money that I so carefully refrained from spending in Japan.  I'm not a shopper, I contemplate purchases for too long and often talk myself out of them in the end, but that wasn't the case this week.  I can't see anyone caring about the shoes or bag I've searched through (they were your standard Taiwanese market-type purchases), but can I just take a minute to celebrate my re-entry into the 21st century with my re-acquisition of a smart phone?  Technology isn't everything (says the girl who can barely use it), but even a few days of the increased international communication has been a huge change.  I should treat myself to presents more often.
As the spending spree continued, I made my way to Taipei to celebrate the birthday of one of my good friends in Taiwan.  The irony in our dinner choice is that it was an izakaya restaurant, which made me feel like I was still checking things off of my Japanese 'to do' list.  We ordered a combination of dishes, including noodles, sushi, steaks, and skewers, and shared them family style amongst the whole table.  This is easily my favorite way of eating because it allows you to experience all of the different flavors of the table, and often introduces you to a food you wouldn't have ordered for yourself.  The other 'traditional' aspect of the restaurant was the taiko drum show that took place twice in our three-hour stay.  Each show was performed by two drummers and a flutist, and as with any other taiko show I have seen, involves enough energy that the audience can literally feel the song.  I was amazed to watch the coordination of such large, powerful movements, as each strike of the drum was done with perfect timing, and I guess my reaction is proof that I was never meant to be a percussionist.  I did get a chance to see one drum show while I was in Japan, but the spacing was very limited because it took place in a store, the setting and acoustics of this performance were far more impressive to me.
The celebrations continued all evening, with the restaurant being just one of the many stops along the way.
As they say, it isn't a party if there isn't a beer tower.

No comments:

Post a Comment