Sunday, June 8, 2014

Quarter of a Century

Aren't birthdays interesting? As children, we like them because of the presents we get, and the attention placed on us, and the fact that we can claim an extra year in our age.  For most people there is an age though, where the wonder of childhood birthdays fades, and the realization of an additional year to our age isn't welcome.  I haven't reached that dreaded age yet, I still love all my birthdays.  I particularly love knowing the unique location of celebration for this milestone, afterall, most American’s weren’t living in Taiwan when they turned 25.  The celebration started with a typical teacher’s pastime, late-night test grading with one of my coworkers.  At 12:01 the date was brought to my attention and I was surprised with cake (the first of many piece, I have never had such a cake-filled birthday).   A few hours of sleep later I was up at ready for a day of celebrations.  My birthday fell on a Friday this year, so I had three classes to teach.  Walking into both of my younger classes, I was immediately serenaded with “Happy Birthday”, and a couple students in my older class arranged gifts for me (so I rewarded them with birthday cake number two).  During the day my desk was decorated with gifts, cards, and so much glitter that I am still finding it a week later.  At the end of the day, the TAs took turns distracting me as they raced around setting up birthday cake number three then called me downstairs to sign our attendance sheets for the month and “double-check the English on a document” (and by that I mean, I walked into a room where the TAs were hiding with ripped up paper to throw at me and a cake).  After a later-than-expected departure from school I went to my dinner party in one of our regular bars: Flamingos.  I was surrounded by good friends, enjoyed delicious food, and finished the night reading cards and opening more gifts than I could have imagined (including a special international card from the US and package from the Czech Republic). 
I know I am spoiled by my life here, I have some of the best experiences, and I managed to drag out my celebrations for three more days.  The next afternoon, a group of friends and I caught a train south to one of my favorite cities, Tainan.  Thankfully the train ride is less than two hours, because we spent that time sitting on the floor and shuffling around at each station.  Stepping off the train we were overwhelmed by the heat almost immediately, so we ditched our bags at the hostel and went to the beach.  Despite the large “No Swimming signs”, we jumped in the water with the crowds of wading tourists and cooled down.  For dinner we went American (TGI Fridays) and finished up the evening with drinks and board games back in the hostel. 
Wrapping up the evening at the Sunset Beach.
Birthday Dinner: Part 
There were no set plans for any of the days, but I was very excited about a river cruise my Chinese teacher had explained to me, so I talked the group into getting traveling out to the canal where we waited in Taiwan’s longest line to board the boat.  The ‘cruise’ was about 30 minutes, and traveled through some of the mangroves in the Annan District to see the wildlife (mainly crabs and birds) as well as various trees and flowers.  The trip was lead by a Chinese-speaking tour guide who helped point out the interesting sites along the route.  

The Sicao Green Tunnel of Tainan.
River boats on the Anping Canal.
The night we temporarily split up and I helped to take on the role of tour guide in the Anping district as we explored the tree house (a former warehouse which has now been ‘consumed’ by a giant banyan tree and the market streets around the old Dutch fort before making our way to the beach for the second night in a row (seriously, it was hot!).  A pizza dinner and a walk around the Streets and we were tucked in for another night’s sleep.
Our last day of vacation was also a national holiday, so we spent all day near the Anping Canal watching Dragon Boat races.  I have to admit, Dragon Boat Festival was one of the holidays I was most excited for prior to living in Taiwan, but it isn’t as exciting as it sounds.  There is a long wait between each race, it is hard to see the entire race, and it is usually difficult to know which boat won.  Still, the weather was gorgeous, and the canal was filled with food, drink, and souvenir vendors to keep us entertained when the races didn’t work. 
Dragon Boat races on the Anping Canal
Work this week flew by, I guess that’s what happens when it is a short week.  Because it is almost the start of our “summer season” I am on the schedule for several demo lessons, the first of which was last week.  Our attendance was a little lower than expected, only two girls came to the lesson, but I think it is safe to say they had a good time watching me run around like a fool, and singing so long it made us all cough, and showing off their English abilities.  Demo lesson number two will be taking place this week.
I’m proud to say, my voice is still holding up, because this was a vocally straining weekend.  I think you all know by now that I have an addiction to Asian Karaoke, but it is safe to say, going to KTV twice in the same day is a sign that the problem is getting out of hand.  Seriously though, it made for a wonderful Saturday.  We started off the afternoon gathered with the Homei School staff of teachers, TAs, and our manager and finished off the evening with several teachers from various schools in the KTV until 5am (which meant that we had stayed out long enough to avoid the taxi costs and just take a train home).  With a Saturday like that, it goes without saying that Sunday didn't stand a chance at being eventful.  Five hours of sleep in I was thoroughly woken by the sunlight and heat.  I went out into the mountains for some fresh air and temple exploring, before going to a movie.  Those were some good weeks!

Homei School karaoke party!


No comments:

Post a Comment