Monday, September 30, 2013

A Get-Away to Celebrate the Moon


Ironically, it was this time last year that I missed my first weekly update, and here I am, for only the second time in over a year, trying to fit two weeks of adventure into a few short paragraphs.  The first vital update, which is also my excuse for my tardiness, is that I still have no internet in my apartment.  The funny thing I have been discovering about the internet is that its importance has changed so much in our everyday lives, and while I can’t remember not having it in my house as a child, I can remember using dial-up connections and essentially only using it for school and e-mail.  Then the age of social networking happened, and everyone was using Xanga, or MySpace, or eventually Facebook, and staying in contact with people wasn’t just easy anymore, it was second nature.  Most people can sit down at a computer and without even realizing it, Facebook has been typed into the search bar.  Plus, now with smart phones, most people never miss a message, they are constantly in contact with the world.  Have you gotten the chance to really experience not having that connection lately?  I would have guessed that I would be fine without it, but to be honest, right now it is really accentuating the distance between the US and Taiwan for me right now, which is upsetting me a bit.  One of the things that has made living abroad so easy has been being able to talk to friends and family on a regular basis, but compensating for the time distance, and accounting for the limited number of establishments with free WiFi around Taiwan, communication has been exceptionally difficult this month.  The other thing that is upsetting is the helplessness of not being able to fix the situation for myself.  I’m quite certain there must be an easy solution, whether it is through calling my internet service provider, or through calling my router’s help line, but I don’t have the Chinese required to do either, and don’t have access to a translator due to the lack of internet in the fist place, so I feel stuck.  This weekend I have sent my routers (yes, I have two) off with some of the TA’s from my school, so hopefully they can help me with some solutions soon, I’ve got my fingers crossed.
Enough about that, let’s talk Taiwan.  One of the main family holidays around here, which falls on the 15th day of the 8th lunar month, occurs around this time every year.  It goes by several names including Mid-Autumn Festival and Moon Festival, and is celebrated with moon cakes and barbecues outside of every storefront.  Moon cakes are a traditional dessert item year-round in Taiwan, but during this season they fill every bakery.  A moon cake is a slightly flakey dessert pastry filled with red bean paste and a sweetened egg yolk, and while you are thinking it sounds like something you wouldn’t enjoy, you are probably right.  They appear to be an acquired taste, and while I have pleasantly smiled my way through many of them this year, I have only had one that I thought was really good. 
After celebrating the eve of moon festival with a school barbeque and an all-night karaoke session, a few friends and I hopped on a plane and travelled to the near-by island of Penghu.  Penghu, also called the Pescadores, is an archipelago owned by Taiwan along its west coast.  The archipelago is made up of three main inter-connected islands: Penghu, Baisha, and Xiyu and 61 other small islands (most of which are uninhabited).  It has been colonized by many countries for its strategic placement in the Taiwan Straights, but now it is primarily a tourist location, particularly for those interested in watersports due to being one of the windiest places in Taiwan.  We only had a few days to explore the islands, but luckily due to their size we managed to visit most of the main attractions, and didn’t let the fact that a super-typhoon was blowing across Taiwan slow us down.  That’s right, while strong winds and rains were a constant threat, we were out on scooters, driving across inter-island bridges as waves splashed over us.  The whole thing sounds much riskier in words that it was in reality however.
The sites of Penghu are mostly beach or temple related.  On our first travel day we scooted through all three of the main islands and saw a vast number of temples along the way.  The most unique of these temples (though I never learned its name) had a green turtle sanctuary in the basement.  Green turtles are celebrated in Taiwan as a symbol of longevity, and this temple has a coral-wonderland in the basement with pools for several huge turtles to swim around in.  I’ve never seen anything like it.  Another unique temple was the Baoan Temple, home of the Tongliang Banyan, estimated to be more than 200 (and in some guesses more than 300) years old, this tree has now dropped roots all over an adjoining courtyard.   Also included in the day’s site-seeing was an abandoned military fort and a lighthouse, but I would say the biggest accomplishment were the two new foods I get to add to my “I’ve eaten that” list.  I don’t think most people will think it too shocking, but I ate cactus fruit  and cactus fruit ice cream, but it makes the list because I can’t imagine most people will get to try it.  Cactus fruit is an almost unnaturally red color that when eaten on its own will dye your tongue red, but the ice cream, while being that same color, doesn’t change the color of your mouth.  When looking at it, one would guess the ice cream will be either very tart or very sweet because of its dark color, but it doesn’t have an overpowering flavor, still, I would gladly eat it again.  The accomplishment, in terms of food consumption, was eating live sea urchin.  The sea urchin is served already halved, but the meat needs to be scraped from the inside ‘shell’ while avoiding the outside spikes.  The consistency of the meat is slimy, grainy, and not very filling, but the flavor isn’t too bad (especially for someone who eats sushi as often as I do), so unlike the ice cream, I don’t think I will put this on my recommendation list.  The second day of travel was more of a beach day, though the weather was appropriate enough to actually enjoy the water (in fact, on one beach we were stopped by the coast guards for prancing around on the beach in swimsuits without attempting to swim at all).  We were able to watch some kite surfers on one beach who were literally flying over the waves.  The benefit of the weather is it kept us moving from location to location so we could see several beaches, a temple, and a ‘blow hole’ (a hole in a rock that when the waves hit it produce a blow-hole similar to a whale), but nicer weather would have allowed us to properly enjoy each location.
Posing with a plate of sea urchin sashimi
The coral-wonderland, home to the green turtles
Look carefully, there are 'soldiers' all over this fort.
Jumping for joy - excited to be in Penghu
We got back to Changhua late Sunday night, and I went through a fairly normal week.  Lots of classes, lots of sleep, lots of Chinese, you know the routine.  I felt really busy this week, but I don’t really know why.  I had a presentation, and I did some planning for our upcoming student showcase, but overall my workweek was pretty easy.  Maybe it was just a side-effect of the slight cold I appear to be getting.  Hopefully my nice, relaxing weekend will rejuvenate me for next week.  Saturday morning started with a drive to Taiping and a dip in out now multi-frequented waterfall.  I don’t know what I’m going to do in the future when I don’t have the option of freshwater pools to swim in, they are perfect.  A few hours of river rock climbing and splashing around and we were off to celebrate my good friend’s birthday with a taste of home (TGI Fridays), and a few big city bars, and, since my age is catching up with me (haha) I spent most of today lounging around my apartment.
I guess that’s it for now, another two weeks of adventure come and gone.  Hopefully this time next week I will be writing from the comfort of my own home, with my newly operational WiFi, well, that’s what will be happening in a perfect world at least.





No comments:

Post a Comment