Monday, September 16, 2013

Back to the Real World...


Taiwan can be a silly country at times.  Sometimes, when there is a national holiday that falls on a Tuesday or Thursday, the holiday will be expanded into a long weekend by displacing the previous or following workday (either the Monday or the Friday, depending on when the holiday falls).  The hours from that non-holiday day-off will be worked on a Saturday instead.  This is true of most businesses, including schools, offices, shops.  This week was one of those “extended work weeks” which is intended to reward employees with a 4-day weekend for Moon Festival (which falls next weekend).  The thing that is most irritating about this week being a 6-day work week isn’t the extra hours (I quite enjoyed my classes on Saturday), nor is it the short weekend (I wouldn’t have done much more than lounge anyway), it is the fact that there was no forewarning about our Saturday hours.  When I arrived back in Taiwan last weekend my co-worker gave me a copy of my official schedule for the week (it didn’t include Saturday), when I got to work on Monday my manager gave me a copy of the week’s schedule to post in the Teacher’s Room (it didn’t include Saturday), I signed out on my work schedule after each class of the week (it didn’t include Saturday).  The first indication that I was given of these extra work hours came at 9:30pm on Thursday night in the form of a note, stating that the school had neglected to pass on this information.   I think my main frustration with the whole situation is the fact that I work for a school that employs foreigners, a school that relies on people from other countries to draw in their customers, yet they forget that being from other countries means we don’t know everything about Taiwan.  I may have lived here for a year, but last year Moon Festival fell on a Sunday and wasn’t a long weekend, so I couldn’t have used that memory to predict this week’s schedule.
It has been nice to be back around my students again, my crazy, adorable students.  While I was on my contract break in the US our school picked up two new beginner classes which were added to my schedule, thus putting me at a comfortable 24 classroom hours a week (which is much better than the 18 I was working a few months ago).  The beginning weeks with a new class can be a little out of control, and my two 01-level classes (one intensive and one regular) are no exception.  I have students who wont speak, students who won’t stop speaking, students who can’t stay in their seats, students who know nothing about English, and strangely, one student who can hold basic dialogues with me already.  Within a term or two I expect the levels will have evened out pretty well, but for a while the main challenge will be to teach all of these kids how to behave in a classroom setting (which is easier said than done). 
On a completely non-Taiwanese note, I have been internet-less for about 10 days now due to my lack of technical comprehension.  I returned to Taiwan with a Mac rather than a PC, and despite my Ethernet convertor and cable, and my WiFi router, I can’t seem to connect to the internet.  The problem seems to be that I need the internet to recognize the router, and I need the router to get the internet, what an unfortunate cycle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment